Weight Loss Program
Dr. Khan is board certified in internal medicine and obesity medicine. We work on a comprehensive weight loss program to get to your ideal weight.
Obesity is now wildly recognized as a chronic disease and is linked to several chronic diseases like pre-diabetes, diabetes, sleep apnea, heart disease, osteoarthritis, and depression.
We use several modalities to help with weight management, weight loss, and fat loss, which can potentially mean a decrease in dose of your medication or getting off some of your medications.
We use the following modalities to help you with weight loss:
- Lifestyle Management: We emphasize eating local and organic food, sleeping 7-8 hours a night, walking at least 6,000 steps a day, shopping responsibly and learning to read food labels, spend time with family, dance and practice deep breathing, exercise regularly, and meditate.
- Nutritional Management: Patients can learn about a diet that avoids refined carbohydrates like white bread, white rice, pasta, and store bought cereal, and focuses on good fat, like olive oil and avocados and healthy protein, like free range chicken, grass fed beef, and wild caught fish along with local grown fresh fruits and vegetables
- Meal Replacement: The OPTIFAST Program is a medically supervised weight loss program that closely monitors and assesses progress towards better health and emotional well-being. The program, which usually lasts 26 weeks, utilizes a full meal replacement plan that transitions to self-prepared "everyday" meals in conjunction with comprehensive patient education and support.
- Pharmacological Treatment: The field of medications to treat the chronic disease of obesity is exploding, and we have many new medications that can work along with lifestyle modifications to help with weight management, weight loss, and fat loss. These include Contrave, Qsymia, Phentermine, Metformin, Topamax, Belviq, Saxenda, and several new medications to manage type 2 diabetes. Also you might be inadvertently on medications that cause weight gain or increase your risk of getting obese. We will work with you and your health care providers to identify these medications and replace them with weight neutral medications, when and if appropriate.
- Behavior Therapy: There is a strong relationship between food and certain mental health problems, like depression. We help identify such associations and point to measures you can take or seek help to identify these associations between weight gain and mental health problems.
- Weight Loss Surgery: We work closely with our surgical colleagues to help identify patients that will need surgical weight loss and help co-manage these patients with our surgical colleagues to prevent medical complications, like nutritional deficiencies and anemia.
Personal Primary Care serves all of Western MA, including Springfield MA, East Longmeadow MA, Wilbraham MA, and Northern CT for weight loss and fat loss programs.
Contact us to learn more!